Sunday, June 28, 2009

100 Mile Hike Club

Earlier, I joined the 100 mile hike club for employees here at Mammoth Hot Springs. As of this weekend, I had a little less than 20 miles left to go. With this in mind, when Rebekah asked me to go on a 22 mile hike it actually sounded like a good idea. I was told it would be downhill the whole way!! lol So, the three of us start out towards Hellroaring trail head. We started with a spring in our step and with light hearts!

Our destination, Gardiner:













Probably 3 miles or so in, we came along an old rangers outpost.

For all those weary hikers, there was even a clean outhouse!!!!!!!

Tricia, still peppy and glad to be in the outdoors:

We had little friends along the trail:

This tree had grown AROUND this elk antler:



It wasn't long before it got HOT and the sun was very intense. We kept hiking and hiking, and I guess I'll confess now, I ran out of water. We came to a nice mountain stream where I refilled my water bottles.

We hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked. Then we climbed rocks, and climbed rocks, and climbed rocks. Then we walked and walked and walked and walked. All I could think about was water.
Tricia is up ahead - not so peppy and happy:



We finally made it back. I wanted to die. Joan Kelly met us at the end with Powerade! I haven't hiked since!

1 comment:

  1. You even made me tired!!!! Enjoyed looking at pictures and reading.

    ReplyDelete