Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Osprey Falls

A beautiful 8 mile hike near Mammoth Hot Springs - Osprey Falls. The 1.4 mile climb out of the canyon is pretty tough but so worth it! Here are the sights along the way:
This is the first time I've seen a bear on a trail I'm hiking. This is a cinnamon colored black bear who acted like we weren't there after he looked right up at us. We backed off and waited for him to waddle off in the opposite direction.

Yellow-bellied marmot:

Osprey Falls: I did this hike last year earlier in the season and there was so much water in the river from the snow melt that I couldn't get close enough to take a picture without my camera getting soaked. This time, Elizabeth and I were able to enjoy a nice, long lunch at the base of the falls while feeling a slight mist. It was just enough to keep us cool but not soaked!


On the short drive back to Mammoth, this bear and cub was spotted just off the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment